The Rules of the Challenge
- Runs from January 1st, 2010 to December 31st, 2010. But this is an ongoing challenge and I will be renewing it next year.
- Join anytime during the year – This challenge is hosted by The Misadventures of Moppet
- Books can be re-reads, or can overlap with other challenges.
- If you’d like the hostess to include a link to your reviews, leave her a comment or email her at: email@example.com.
- Choose your own level. You can change level anytime or change your mind about the books you will read at any time. I noticed other people have fun names for their challenge levels, so here are mine:
Orange Girl – Read one book
Maid of Honour – Read up to three books
Courtesan – Read up to five books
Maitresse en titre – Read up to seven books
Secret Wife – Read more than seven books!
Which books qualify for the challenge?
- Royal mistress who really existed
- Unknown mistresses whom the author has characterized, such as Richard III’s: they can be included too – as long as they had children which really existed.
- Mistresses to junior royals as well as kings’ mistresses.
- The book has to have the mistress as the central character – not just feature her in a major way.
- If the character really existed, but there is no evidence for a relationship, they will not be included.
- This will not to include Anne Boleyn as she was only a mistress for a relatively short period.
- Although it's called it the Royal Mistress Challenge, books about male favorites such as Piers Gaveston are also allowed. So it’s really the Royal Favorite Challenge.
My Goal: Level Maid of Honour
My Progress so Far: (click on title to read my review)